Spring is out, summer is in. As you strip off the layers of your clothing to welcome the heat, here are the latest fashion trends in this year's hottest weather.
2018? More like 1980s. The world of fashion takes a present-to-past route with its retro-glam inspiration, taking a page from the muses before the millennials were born. Here, bold colours, styles and silhouettes pervade the catwalk, minus the gigantic permed hair. Think about small waists, broad shoulders, and legs for days.
What to fill your wardrobe here? Arm your 2018 summer arsenal with one or more of these items:
- Feel like royalty with puff ball sleeves. They're classically romantic; puff-ball sleeves have been the favourite go-tos of Princess Diana and the likes, as it highlights the shoulders; giving petites a broader, stronger charisma. Go with peplum blouses or printed variants, then pair them with high-waisted jeans or a denim skirt for a laidback look for a casual day. When heading to the office, match them with trousers and finish off with sharp boots.
- Dance on the streets with fringe and feather dresses. There's a lot of fluff in style, but this one trend isn't insignificant. Inspired by the movement of the wind and your very own rhythm, walk the street with these little details fluttering across your waist, or at the hems of your dress.
- Swimwear? Pick palm beach prints. The tropics have never lost its colours during summer, and this 2018, clothes are all awash with bright prints of Hawaii's beautiful sunset, gumamelas, and the sapphire tones of the sea. Pair these clothes with gold for an extra accent. Then, you're ready for the beach!
- Suit up, but with shorts. It may just be too warm to keep those legs covered, so why not show them off with a pair of suit shorts? Hanging just above the knee, your silk bottoms can become a fun, semi-formal attire when matched with an equally luxurious blazer, or a show-stopping blouse.
- Of course, the floral one piece. There’s a good chance that your wardrobe is half-filled with flowy, flower-printed maxis, and it’s time to get them out. This year's trend is all about sharp-looking cuts: peplum waists, fluted sleeves and tea-length skirts with uneven hems. High-necked blouses give you that old-fashioned charm, which only means you don't have to accessorize too much to look classy.
- Colours? Head to the crayons. Your beloved hue takes a stage as designers turn to brighter pastels – some with show-stopping textures like leatherettes and vinyl for that summer wet look. While pastels remain a feminine favourite, you can find stronger hues such as tomato red, emerald green, lemon yellow and cobalt blue taking the stage. For an extra oomph on today’s style, why not pick that vibrant coat to pair off with your white cropped pants?
- Speaking of coats, it’s time to go big. With an emphasis on shoulders, this season’s trench coats are meant to put the eye on your upper body. Chic and slouchy silhouettes are in, best paired with denim or flowy dresses.
- How about accessories? Bumbags are making a comeback, but for you who needs to carry larger things, tote bags are a must-have. Carry your favourite designer bag latched with a giant logo by the flaps. Gargantuan earrings are summer’s showstoppers – pick ones with tassel ends for that fun flair. As for shoes, get ready to run; your athletic footwear can be paired with just about anything, even dresses. But if you want a more formal approach, slingback stilettos are perfect for any special occasion.
Which of these items do you already have – or are you most likely to buy?